Saturday, January 16, 2010

Turbo-Charge Your Diet With 36 Top Power Foods



The Cleveland Clinic has listed 36 "power foods," foods that are so rich in nutrients and health benefits that nearly everyone should include them in their diet.

The Cleveland Clinic has been consistently named one of the nation's best hospitals in U.S. News & World Report's annual "America's Best Hospitals" report.

The 36 power foods have been organized by categories that include vegetables, proteins, fruits, soy foods, grains and legumes.

Vegetables: Aim for at least 1 to 2 cups of these vegetables at 2 meals each day.

  1. Asparagus
  2. Bell peppers
  3. Bok choy
  4. Broccoli
  5. Carrots
  6. Garlic, onions, leeks, shallots
  7. Spinach, watercress, Swiss chard, romaine, kale, beets and mustard greens
  8. Potato (with skin)
  9. Sweet potato
  10. Tomato
  11. Acorn or butternut squash
(I'll happily eat all the vegetables listed above, although I'm not sure I've ever tried bok choy in my soups and I'll usually favor baby spinach over kale or Swiss chard.)
    Proteins: Eat 1 3- to 6-oz fillet or 3-oz. can of fish each week. Eat 2 to 4 tablespoons of peanut butter each week.

       12. Tuna (canned in water or fresh)
       13. Salmon (fresh or canned pink)
       14. Natural peanut butter

    (I love my peanut butter but have to work on more interesting tuna recipes.)

    Fruits: Eat 3 servings of fresh (best), frozen or canned fruit daily. If blood sugar is a concern, eat whole fruits, not fruit juices.

      15. Apples
      16. Apricots
      17. Bananas
      18. Berries
      19. Cantaloupe
      20. Citrus
      21. Kiwi
      22. Papaya
      23. Peaches

    (If I were stuck on a desert island and had to choose one food group to live on, it would be fruit, so no problems here. I love dried California apricots, but the higher sugar content is probably not a great thing in huge quantities.)

    Soy foods: Use in place of meat sources.

      24. Soy milk and cheese
      25. Soy nuts
      26. Tofu and tempeh

    (This is the only category I don't enjoy, perhaps because I don't have the right recipes.)

    Grains: Eat 2 to 4 cups of cooked oatmeal (not instant) each week. Eat 2 tablespoons of wheat germ daily and 2 tablespoons to one-quarter cup of ground flaxseed each day.

      27. Barley
      28. Brown rice
      29. Bulgur
      30. Flaxseed
      31. Oatmeal
      32. Wheat germ

    (I supplement my cats' diet with ground flaxseed and make my own granola with old-fashioned oatmeal, wheat germ and dried fruits. I also enjoy whole wheat berries, which didn't make this list.)

    Legumes: Include 1 cup of legumes in your daily diet and include an extra cup on 2 days of the week. Use legumes as a protein source for lunch and two dinner meals.

      33. Black beans
      34. Black-eyed peas
      35. Kidney beans
      36. Lentils

    (I love beans, but am turning away from the convenience of canned beans back to dried, due to the widespread use of bisphenol-A in the lining of many canned products.)

    How many of the top 36 find their way into your diet?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment